I started incubating eggs two weeks ago. I like to candle them weekly to check the progress and remove those that are not progressing because they can become rotten quickly and potentially jeopardize the whole clutch. So far I removed one today. All in all one out of 22 so far is not too bad. Below is a picture of one of the eggs.
Update to the update... I only had 4 poults hatch from this batch. Some how the egg turner stopped working and I believe that's is what caused the low hatching rate. The second batch is in so let's hope for some more. 🤞
I collected 22 turkey eggs over two weeks and kept them in our cool basement until last Wednesday (see my previous post). I put the date on the eggs to keep track of how old they are. After prepping the incubator for a couple days to make sure the temp was right at 99.5 degrees.
The incubator is a Brower Top Hatch T130 that automatically turns the eggs. I have hatched about a dozen clutches over the years and have had pretty good success. I candled the eggs today to check on the progress. All showed signs of blood vessels which is great news for fertility of the birds. However do not count your chicks (or poults) before they hatch.
I will candle them again next week to check the progress.
A wild hen came to visit this afternoon. She chilled with our turkeys for about an hour until I when out to finish chores. First time we had a wild turkey this close.